Chemical services at the salon are getting more expensive day by day. That is why many women have decided to perm hair at home. Doing perm at home can be tricky if you don’t know what chemicals are your type. There are basically two types of perms on the market, balanced acid waves and alkaline perms. Both have specific uses. Although it might ‘look’ very easy as you watch it involves more process than meets the eye.
Types of Perms: What should you use?
Actually, to say there are two basic types of perms, the ‘cold wave’ (alkaline perm) which is the time-consuming process. It involves no chemistry, with chemicals it can be set for only 15 minutes. Then there is the acid or acid balanced permanent that takes a long time, and it involves heat. This heat was administered by sitting under a hooded dryer, but now the heat has been provided through a chemical reaction within the formulation. Finally, there is the exothermic perm that is both self-timing and self-heating. This is the most user-friendly perm type as it has auto shut off.
Steps to Giving a Basic Home Perm
Let’s go for basic instructions to give you an idea of where to start.
- Thoroughly wash hair – but do not scrub the scalp
- Leave hair wet – remove excess water only
- Section your hair – top, sides and three sections in back
- Start at crown wrapping curls toward the back
- As soon you reach the hairline, wrap the curl forward toward the face
- Wrap the sections: first sides rolling downwards, then the center back section and then the other two sections downward.
- In case hair begins to dry during wrapping, generously spray with water
- Once all rods are placed, apply a small amount of Vaseline around the front hairline
- Wrap cotton roll around perimeter and secure behind hears
- Smear solution to each curl individually
- Time it according to instructions provided
- Rinse with cool water
- Blot dry
- Remove the rods without stretching hair
- Gently massage the scalp
- Rinse thoroughly (do not use shampoo but you can use conditioner if recommended by manufacturer)
- You should not use blow dry or stretch hair in any way